Server Side Image Manipulation with Graphics Millposted on 3 January 2008 | posted in Hosting General
This will sound like a sponsor article, but it's really just a straight-up recommendation.
For anything to do with image manipulation, if you're programming in ASP or ASP.NET, Graphics Mill is the best image processing component I've used - and I've tried a lot of other components! It's the easiest, most intuitive and powerful image processing component for ASP/.NET available. It's programmability means you can use it like a server-side Photoshop for your websites / web applications.
The ActiveX version is discontinued but still available for sale if you email the Aurigma team. The .NET version is available for direct sale via their website.
Full Features Glossary of Graphics Mill
- Combine images with full support of alpha channel and various combine modes (such as Add, Xor, Substract, Texturize, Screen, Overlay and others - 22 modes).
- Use various metrics when applying effects, get dimensions, draw lines, curves, shapes etc. You can use the following measurement units: pixels, points, inches, document units, millimeter and percents (relatively image dimensions).
- Provides various events, including progress notification (which allows to display progress bar). You can display progress bar not only in desktop software, but also in web application.
- Ability to interrupt all operations using timeout. It is especially important in ASP preventing excess load on server (and thus denial of service).
- Guarantees thread safety for all the operations applied on the image.
Apply various transforms:
- Resize (12 interpolation algorithms, including Scale-To-Gray for 1-bit images displaying);
- Rotate (precise rotation on small angle, antialising, fast rotation on 90, 180 and 270 degrees), Crop, Flip, Swirl, Wave, WaterDrop, Cylindrize, Skew, Custom affine transform;
Adjust image colors:
- Hue/Saturation/Lightness, Brightness (both automatic and manual), Contrast (both automatic and manual), Levels (both automatic and manual), Channel Balance, Desaturate, Invert.
Apply different effects:
- Add Noise (with uniform and Gaussian distribution), Blur (Gaussian blur and fast implementation), Edge Detect (9 different filters), Maximum Filter (also known as Erosion), Median Filter, Minimum Filter (also know as Dilation), Sharpen, Unsharp Mask, Waddle.
Apply artistic effects:
Buttonize (with 3 diffrent button types), Emboss, Glow, Mosaic, Page Curl, Shadow, Solarize, Spray, Texturize (neighbour images are connected seamlessly).